Human Resource Coordinator at Mercy Corps Nigeria
Mercy Corps is a leading global organization powered by the belief that a better world is possible. In disaster, in hardship, in more than 40 countries around the world, we partner to put bold solutions into action – helping people triumph over adversity and build stronger communities from within, now, and for the future. In Nigeria, Mercy Corps has worked since 2012 focusing its programming on adolescent girls’ empowerment, economic development, conflict mitigation, and humanitarian response.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Human Resource Coordinator
Location: Maiduguri, Borno
Application Deadline: 16th December, 2022.
Employment Type: Full-time, Regular
Program / Department Summary
- The Human Resource Department is responsible for developing and implementing effective HR policies, procedures, and people-friendly guidelines within Mercy Corps Nigeria.
- This includes but is not limited to: Talent acquisition & development; employee engagement coordination; country-wide training & learning management; compensation & benefits administration; performance management oversight; disciplinary & grievance handling; staff data management; staff disengagement management and 3rd party service provision management (HMO, Group Life)
General Position Summary
- The Human Resource Coordinator (Maiduguri) is a new role which reports to the HR Director with dotted lines to the Senior Human Resource Manager and the Director of HSS.
- H/she is responsible for undertaking the Human Resource Coordination function for the Northeast operations and within our Maiduguri Office.
- This position will work to ensure that country-wide HR policies and procedures are maintained and adhered to.
- H/she provides the required human resource practices and objectives and supports the ongoing development of a committed and skilled workforce in Maiduguri while adhering to the set HR Operational standards.
Essential Job Responsibilities
- Ensure successful implementation, adherence, and common understanding of the National Staff Handbook and other HR Policies in the Northeast.
- Ensure that controls are put in place to allow for transparent and unbiased HR processes and systems.
- Ensuring adherence and standardization of recruitments is according to recruiting guidelines as well championing the onboarding process for new team members in the northeast.
- Ensure all required Human Resource functions across Northeast is achieved in line with MC program objectives in the facilitation of employee engagement & management, performance management, employee welfare and HR project management.
- Supervise the Northeast Talent acquisition team to ensure they remain accountable to the HR country Talent lead and execute full lifecycle talent acquisition activities within the Northeast.
- Oversee the management and effective tracking of annual performance reviews (APR) submission and capturing for HR Country team processing.
- Ensure effective tracking and monitoring of leave utilization for all Northeast staff.
- Ensure timely collection and submission of timesheet for the Northeast team members to the HR country office.
- Serve as a link between the HR team and employees by handling questions, interpreting, and administering HR policies and procedures, and helping to resolve work-related problems.
- Work closely with hiring managers to identify personnel needs, job specifications, job duties, qualifications, and skills for all Northeast office positions.
- Support in finalizing negotiations and preparing documentation including remuneration package attached to offers for new hires in close coordination with the Country office HR team.
- Perform all required reference, background, and documentation checks for new hires and discuss results with hiring managers for assigned MC offices.
- Screen, refer, and maintain a talent pool of external and internal candidates for additional interviews as applicable for assigned MC offices.
- Ensure effective implementation of onboarding mechanism and all team members receive complete orientation within 15 days of hire in assigned MC offices.
- Ensure the new hire starter pack is ready and run orientation sessions for all new hires in assigned MC offices.
- Monitor and ensure completion of all MC Mandatory onboarding and Safeguarding courses within one week of hire and full use of assigned MC offices.
- Provide a broad range of in-person field HR support, including support in performance management, grievance management and team engagement in assigned MC office.
- Quarterly visit to MC deep field and field offices in the Northeast.
- Provide monthly updates of HR activities in the Northeast to the HR Director or Designee.
- Create and sustain a work environment of mutual respect where team members strive to achieve excellence.
- Provide team members with information, tools and other resources to improve performance and reach objectives.
- Contribute to country team-building efforts, help team members identify problem-solving options and ensure the integration of all team members into relevant decision-making processes.
- Ensure compliance with security procedures and policies as determined by country leadership.
- Proactively ensure that team members operate in a secure environment and are aware of policies.
- Promote a safe and inclusive work environment that, regardless of the context, is consistent with Mercy Corps’ culture of care.
- As part of our commitment to organizational learning and in support of our understanding that learning organizations are more effective, efficient and relevant to the communities they serve, we expect all team members to commit 5% of their time to learning activities that benefit Mercy Corps as well as themselves.
Accountability To Beneficiaries:
- Mercy Corps team members are expected to support all efforts toward accountability, specifically to our beneficiaries and to international standards guiding international relief and development work, while actively engaging beneficiary communities as equal partners in the design, monitoring and evaluation of our field projects.
- Team members are expected to conduct themselves in a professional manner and respect local laws, customs and MC’s policies, procedures, and values at all times and in all in-country venues.
- Supervisory Responsibility: HR Assistant
- Reports Directly To: HR Director
- Works Directly With: Senior HR Manager, HR Officers, Talent Acquisition Officer, All Hiring Managers, Senior Management Team, Mercy Corps operation staff, finance, program team and partner organizations.
Knowledge and Experience
- Bachelor’s Degree in HR Management / Administration or relevant field.
- 5 – 7 years of professional experience in multiple human resource disciplines specifically Recruitment, Selection, Orientation, Onboarding and Talent Management.
- Professional Certification and License from CIPM, SHRM or CIPD will be an added advantage.
- Demonstrated understanding and proven experience of staffing and talent planning in international relief and development environments.
- Hands-on experience with HRIS or HCM like UKG Pro, BambooHR, SAP or Oracle.
- In-depth knowledge and experience of the Nigerian Labor Act, compensation, benefits administration, recruitment, selection, and onboarding
- Proficiency in MS Office, internet searching, and applicant tracking systems and use of social media for sourcing talent.
- Ability to communicate, influence and solveproblems effectively across diverse cultures and geographical distances with sensitivity
- Fluency in English language is required. Fluency in any other Nigerian languages will be an added advantage.
- The successful candidate must have excellent interpersonal skills, strong oral and written communications skills and should be an excellent listener. S/ he must have excellent analytical skills, good reasoning abilities, and sound judgment.
- S/he will also be able to thrive in a fast-paced environment, demonstrate a strong understanding of the cultural and social environment that exists both in and out of Nigeria and will have the willingness and ability to work effectively with a wide variety of people.
- S/he will develop and maintain productive professional relationships with a broad spectrum of stakeholders within the organization and throughout the relief and development community.
- S/he will be flexible, resilient and possess the ability to prioritize and manage multiple tasks simultaneously. Mercy Corps team members represent the agency both during and outside work hours when deployed in a field posting or on a visit/TDY to a field posting. Team members are expected to conduct themselves in a professional manner and respect local laws, customs and MC’s policies, procedures, and values at all times and in all in-country venues.
Living Conditions / Environmental Conditions:
- The position will be based in Maiduguri, Borno State, Nigeria with 20% travels to other field locations. Given the nature of the role, working hours require flexibility, and working beyond the official closing hour might be necessary.
Diversity, Equity & Inclusion:
- Achieving our mission begins with how we build our team and work together. Through our commitment to enriching our organization with people of different origins, beliefs, backgrounds, and ways of thinking, we are better able to leverage the collective power of our teams and solve the world’s most complex challenges.
- We strive for a culture of trust and respect, where everyone contributes their perspectives and authentic selves, reaches their potential as individuals and teams, and collaborates to do the best work of their lives.
- We recognize that diversity and inclusion is a journey, and we are committed to learning, listening and evolving to become more diverse, equitable and inclusive than we are today.
Equal Employment Opportunity:
- Mercy Corps is an equal opportunity employer that does not tolerate discrimination on any basis. We actively seek out diverse backgrounds, perspectives, and skills so that we can be collectively stronger and have a sustained global impact.
- We are committed to providing an environment of respect and psychological safety where equal employment opportunities are available to all.
- We do not engage in or tolerate discrimination on the basis of race, colour, gender identity, gender expression, religion, age, sexual orientation, national or ethnic origin, disability (including HIV/AIDS status), marital status, military veteran status or any other protected group in the locations where we work.
Safeguarding & Ethics:
- Mercy Corps is committed to ensuring that all individuals we come into contact with through our work, whether team members, community members, program participants or others, are treated with respect and dignity.
- We are committed to the core principles regarding the prevention of sexual exploitation and abuse laid out by the UN Secretary-General and IASCand have signed on to the Interagency Misconduct Disclosure Scheme.
- We will not tolerate child abuse, sexual exploitation, abuse, or harassment by or of our team members.
- As part of our commitment to a safe and inclusive work environment, team members are expected to conduct themselves in a professional manner, respect local laws and customs, and to adhere to Mercy Corps Code of Conduct Policiesand values at all times.
- Team members are required to complete mandatory Code of Conduct e-learning courses upon hire and on an annual basis.
- Applicants should have their CVs and Cover Letters in one document addressing the position requirements.
- Female candidates who are qualified are strongly encouraged to apply.
Method of Application
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Not interested in this particular job? See other jobs here