Hong Kong PhD Fellowship Scheme is open for International students to pursue their doctoral studies in Hong Kong, China. Established in 2009 by the Hong Kong Research Grants Council (RGC), the Hong Kong PhD Fellowship Scheme seeks to attract excellent learners from around the globe to pursue their PhD programs at Hong Kong universities.
The Fellowship provides an annual stipend of HK$325,200 (approximately US$41,690) and a conference and research-related travel allowance of HK$13,600 (approximately US$1,740) per year for each awardee for a period up to three years. 300 PhD Fellowships will be awarded in the 2023/24 academic year.
- Level of Study: PhD
- Institution(s): See list below
- Study in: Hong Kong
- Opportunity Focus Areas: Eligible PhD Programs offered by participating institutions
- Program Period: Three to four years.
- Deadline: December 1, 2022
The HKPF (Hong Kong PhD Fellowship) supports the awardees to pursue their PhD studies at UGC-funded institutions in Hong Kong:
- City University of Hong Kong
- Hong Kong Baptist University
- Lingnan University
- The Chinese University of Hong Kong
- The Education University of Hong Kong
- The Hong Kong Polytechnic University
- Hong Kong University of Science and Technology
- The University of Hong Kong
Scholarship Coverage for Hong Kong PhD Fellowship Scheme
The Hong Kong PhD Fellowship Scheme for International Students provides the recipient with the following benefits:
- An annual stipend of HK$325,200 (approximately US$41,690)
- A conference and research-related travel allowance of HK$13,600 (approximately US$1,740) per year for each awardee for a period up to three years.
- The RGC does not charge any application fee for the (HKPFS) . However, universities may charge application or other processing fees.
Note: 300 PhD Fellowships will be awarded in the 2023/24 academic year*. For awardees who need more than three years to complete the PhD degree, additional support may be provided by the chosen universities. For details, please contact the universities concerned directly.
Eligibility Criteria for Hong Kong PhD Fellowship Scheme
To be eligible for Hong Kong PhD Fellowship Scheme for International Students, you must fulfill the following criteria:
- Required Language: English
- Eligible Countries: All World Countries.
- Those who are seeking admission as new full-time PhD students in UGC-funded institutions of Hong Kong, irrespective of their country of origin, prior work experience and ethnic background, should be eligible to apply.
- Applicants should demonstrate outstanding qualities of academic performance, research ability/potential, communication and interpersonal skills, and leadership abilities.
How to Apply for Hong Kong PhD Fellowship Scheme?
Please follow below steps to avail Hong Kong PhD Fellowship Scheme for International Students:
- Before applying please check this link
- Fill the initial Application from here
- Submit Initial Application to Research Grants Council HKPF@ugc.edu.hk
(Note : Open for applications at 12:00 noon Hong Kong Time )
- Submit Full Applications to Proposed Universities
(After completing an initial application, applicants should submit full applications for their selected PhD programs to the proposed universities quoting their HKPFS Reference Number before the universities’ respective deadlines. As regards program information, requirements for PhD admission, application methods, regulations and policy of individual universities, please refer to individual universities and PhD programs for information. )
- For more information about how to apply click here & here